[SeekingFeedback] DALI Lighting Control IoTex gateway

Proposal details

Project Name

DALI Lighting Control IoTex gateway

Project Type

Lighting Control Gateway and Dapp

Proposal Description

I propose to develop an open-source proof of concept hardware gateway to connect to DALI(Digital Addressable Lighting Interface) based Lighting control networks to the IoTex platform. This will allow the integration of room-specific light control of open-plan offices, multipurpose spaces, showrooms or retail spaces.

The project will consist of a hardware based controller capable of connecting to and controlling luminaire networks, and a basic DApp, capable of displaying Manufacturers Data, Energy Data and Diagnostics Data of in-use luminaires on the network.

The project will be opensource using simple and inexpensive components and software available through a Apache2 license.

Features

• Capable of controlling up to 64 individual luminaires
  • Built-in DALI Power
  • Power provided via screw terminals
  • Serial-to-Ethernet communication
  • Programming via USB
  • DIN-Rail Mounting

Milestones

• Milestone 1:
    • Duration (weeks): 4 weeks (given its Christmas time)
    • Deliverables: Prototype using Arduino with code on Github
    • Funds request (USD): 500 USD
  • Milestone 2:
    • Duration (weeks): 6 weeks
    • Deliverables: Schematics and CAD files produced, hardware validated and Tested
    • Funds request (USD): 1000 USD
  • Milestone 3:
    • Duration (weeks): 4 weeks
    • Deliverables: production of DApp for luminaire communication
    • Funds request (USD): 1000 USD

Total funds requested

I am asking for 2500 USD in total to cover the cost of the PCB prototyping and overall development.

About your Team

I graduated from a Bachelors undergraduate degree in Electrical and Electronic enigneering in 2016, since then I have been working in Building Services Engineering. I have experience in hardware and embedded software systems design and programming.

Metrics

N/A

Links

DALI: standards - Digital Illumination Interface Alliance
https://github.com/nicobrownHL

=== Do not change this section ===

By posting a proposal, you accept the rules below:

https://community.iotex.io/t/grant-issuance-rules/3839

Community voting

Community members can vote on grant proposals to facilitate grants assignments to their favorite projects. Please vote on this proposal:
  • I Like this proposal
  • I Don’t like this proposal

0 voters

=== Please add Milestone Reports below ===

2 Likes

I’m not sure if MachineFi is the best place for this, feel free to move it to another category if not

1 Like

Nice proposal, thank you for submitting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks interesting, simple and inexpensive too. Would be great if you could give clarity on the future scalability and if more features could be added to the project for more acceptability and mass adoption too… :+1:

Yeah the idea would be to develop the project further to cover other commercial lighting protocols such as Bluetooth, zigbee, casambi etc

3 Likes

@N-B like this idea - can we go one step further to make this a light-to-earn dapp? By illuminating others, you earn $LIGHT token.

3 Likes

I voted in favour of accepting the proposal for the simple reasons, not asking a huge investment and supporting entrepreneurship.

However not sure how the project gives back to Iotex ecosystem or stakers or community, I hope this starts you off on your journey to building bigger and better things and keep us all in mind.

I wish you all the best.