IIP-22: IoTeX Domain Name Service

Not only do I trust the team, but I’m reassured by the fact that the architecture is modeled after Ethereum’s ENS. It’s been out in the world for 6 years. (Released in May of 2017)

1 Like

I can’t really understand all the technical details but I think I get the part that says ‘this is good’. However can we get an example or theoretical situation on how a common, non technical user will utilize this? From getting the domains, subscribing to the plans (if applicable or will it be a one-off payment?) to what they have to do to be able to utilize said domains either as receiving address or any other application

4 Likes

This is interesting. Thanks for the review

nice , support this proposal

1 Like

Some further thoughts.

Here’s a clear benefit of a Web 3 Domain Name Service:

IoTeX Name Service (INS) is a decentralized domain name service that make it easier for people and companies to be discovered on the blockchain. This benefits Web 3 companies in a number of ways, such as making it easier for users to find their websites and services, giving them a more professional and memorable identity, and helping them to stand out from the competition. Both ENS (Ethereum Name Service) and INS can also attract Web 2 companies to have a Web 3 presence by making it easier for them to reach their customers on the blockchain and take advantage of the benefits of decentralization such as better security and integration with DeFi systems.

Overall, INS provides powerful tools that can benefit both Web 3 companies and Web 2 companies. They make it easier for users to find companies on the blockchain, give companies a more professional identity, and help companies to reach their customers. Even this early in their development they are likely to play an important role in the future of Web 3.

2 Likes

Have the authors of IIP-22 conducted any extensive research as to how ENS can be improved upon based on users feedback? Why is this relevant? I’m glad you asked. With such insight, INS can become an aggregate of ENS but with the user friendliness of GoDaddy + other improvements/upgrades. In others words, ENS 2.0 is the desired outcome. What is the competitive advantage that INS has over ENS?

What is theoretical path for obtaining a domain in the INS network? Any costs to consider?

3 Likes

we already have .iotex domains. others are unnecessary

the jig is up. this looks like a late attempt to get into the domain game.

These are great questions and I’ll try to get an answer for them. (P.S. I like your Socratic style, with the question and answer format)

1 Like

OK - I’ve gotten an answer. The main improvement is literally invisible and it has to do with zero-width spaces. With the INS (IoTeX Name Service), unlike ENS, you can’t use zero-width spaces. That’s a clear security improvement. Here’s why.

From the wikipedia entry:
“The zero-width space ( ), abbreviated ZWSP , is a non-printing character used in computerized typesetting to indicate word boundaries to text-processing systems in scripts that do not use explicit spacing…”

Why does this matter? (Glad you asked!) It matters because it can be used in a URL to spoof a legitimate site’s address. With a zero-width space the spoof URL looks exactly like the legit URL.

So while it’s not a flashy feature, not perpetuating environments where bad things happen is worth taking pride in.

It’s almost funny to think - Hey! Today was another day that I didn’t get scammed. But it really is a better day when bad things don’t happen.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting feature. So it sounds like ENS does allow for Zero Width spaces but INS does not?

Don’t laws surrounding ICANN (domains) already prohibit the use of Zero Width spaces? How is ENS allowed to offer their service in violation of those laws?

Will INS offer 2 or 3 or 4 letter domains? Will pricing be volatile or stable for renewals? Managed by code or human? Will there even be renewals, or like Unstoppable Domains- once registered it becomes yours for life with no renewal fees or gas fees?

What about the INS root node, will this be controlled by few individuals or the DAO, will it be decentralized?

There is plenty of competition out there. We need to make sure we are innovative & offer things others do not and fine tune those things which users of those services complain about.

3 Likes

Hi, I like your questions because I am also thinking about it, all the current hype around ENS domains seems to me greatly exaggerated. Right now every blockchain provider is trying to start trading domains, but there are much less consumers than we would like them to be

1 Like

I agree with @KiberDon - great questions. I’ll try to get answers for these.

1 Like

Could you explain your question:

What about the INS root node, will this be controlled by few individuals or the DAO, will it be decentralized?

I don’t understand what you’re asking.

Here are the answers:

Will INS offer 2 or 3 or 4 letter domains?

• INS can offer 3 and 3 characters above domains, we will forbid 2 character domains.

Will pricing be volatile or stable for renewals?

• Pricing is stable, $640/year for 3 characters, $160/year for 4 characters, and $5 for 5+ characters.

Will there even be renewals, or like Unstoppable Domains- once registered it becomes yours for life with no renewal fees or gas fees?

• As same as ENS, the INS needs renewals.

Will it be managed by code or human?

• Managed by code.

• Currently, the root node is controlled by the multisign account and we plan to use DAO to manage INS
5 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you for taking the time to provide those details. I’m all for this proposal!

2 Likes

Thanks for helping us add more useful info!

Love it, this will be a great implementation

1 Like

I think it’s a good suggestion. Decentralization of Internet resources and their transition to Web3 implies a decentralized management of the domain name.

3 Likes

Hey there people, this is Giuseppe, from the IoTeX DevRel team. Only a few days before we put this proposal up for voting. Any questions, or anything you think I could help you guys with?
Let me know, I’m around! :grin:

2 Likes