Missing transaction in coinbase from Crypto.com

I’m sorry but there’s a confusion here. The issue that we have here is coins being lost from transfers initiating from Crypto dot com going into Coinbase, nothing to do with iopay. Let me explain what happened. I started the transfer at Crypto dot com. Crypto asked for receiving address. I got receiving address from Coinbase and inputted it into Crypto dot com transaction. Hit send and received message saying transaction completed successfully. Waited a few minutes and coins didn’t arrive. Investigated and looked into the transaction hash. Inside the IoTex explorer I saw the message transaction completed successfully but instead of showing the receiving address that I got from coinbase I saw an IoTex address which begins with “io”. When I saw that it raised a red flag and I clicked on it and when I did that it takes me to a page that shows both the IoTex address and the Coinbase address which is labeled Web3 in the IoTex explorer. I can send you a screenshot. My question is why is the IoTex address automatically generated?

1 Like

Really? That’s your reply. If you bought AAPL on eTrade, your broker or RobinHood, it is the same AAPL. This has nothing to do with blockchain technology. I’m a blockchain program manager and certifications to prove it. This has to do with educating project supporters.

Even Google has two different stocks and they relabeled them with different ticker symbols GOOG and GOOGL. Both prices are close to each other since one was created from a stock split. Sounds a lot like IOTX. One is native and the other is ERC-20. When they decided to sell their souls to Coinbase so they can get listed in the largest crypto exchange in the nation to gain more supporters and attention to their project, they should’ve renamed the ticker. Coinbase should’ve also issued a warning.

I bought in at $.06 since I believed in the project. I also got in Jasmy at the same price since I think these two projects will transform the IoT space. I moved past of my transaction because like many here, we saw an arbitrage opportunity. Most of us here are not idiots. We just wanted to get a little edge.

In any case, appreciate your thoughts. I don’t appreciate the condescending tone. I hope I’m misreading it. Again, I believe in the project and it’s blowing up today so hopefully, whatever is stuck in crypto limbo will be covered by this breakout gains.

Have a great week Zimme!

Ok got you.

Regarding slow response btw, we are seeing a huge amount of new users joining our community (thousands and thousands, and of course they all have questions!) which generated quite a backlog in our support system. We are scaling the team (notice that any post in this forum, those sent to support@iotex.io, or PMed to the telegram bot @iotexbot are all received and managed by the same team), and all questions will be answered, but the response time is now growing to 1 week and it’s usually better to try sharing more information publicly and redirect people to the threads rather than explaining the same things to every single user.

So back to us, I got you. What you are seeing in iotexscan is simple the “IoTeX format” of the address representation. A blockchain address is simply a shorter and more readable representation of your account public key. IoTeX converts the public key into addresses that start by io1 according to a certain rule, Ethereum utilizes a different conversion that transforms the public key in addresses that look like 0x… etc… Bitcoin uses even a different conversion, all to make the public key easier to manage in form of an “address”.

But given a private key, there is only one public key associated to it, then each blockchain project has its own way to convert it into an “address” (but different formats can represent the same public key, which is the “real” address). If you notice in the top right of the iotexscan page, there is a small switch:

v2.iotexscan.io (beta) is more clear btw

that lets you decide what format you want to use for the address visualization: if the IoTeX way of representing it (io1…) or the Ethereum way (0x…), but eventually they all represent the same address (i.e. the same public key). Let’s say that if you are sending to a recipient address that is represented as io1 you can stay reassured that the recipient is expecting the tokens on the IoTeX chain (because only IoTeX uses that format). If the recipient address is expressed in the 0x format, then you should worry about what’s blockchain the recipient expects the tokens to (because the 0x format is used by many blockchains).

Anyway, try converting that io1 address in iotexscan (or you can also convert on iotexlab.io/eth2io) and you’ll see that is the same coinbase address you input as the recipient.

2 Likes

I’m just trying to explain how things work, to benefit as many users as possible. I personally supported hundreds people recovering their funds when it was possible, and I know the most effective way to prevent msitakes is currently by sharing knowledge. Blockchain is not as old and estabilished as stock markets. Many fundamental pillars are still missing, just trying to say we must be 100 times more focused when doing any blockchain transaction, trying to make sure we are aware of what we are doing as much as possible. Of course, every actor should do it’s part in this, and agree that Exchanges (not only Coinbase) should make their websites more transparent about deposits and withdrawals, but we don’t have control on what they list or how they name the tokens or how their UI should look like, we can only support them when they ask us, and ask them to make some improvements when we see something critical, but we are not always heard.
On our side, we can add a warning when sendting token transfers (which we will do), but in my experience if a user is not well educated, they just don’t understand the warning either, and most of them will simply skip it.

1 Like

Do you have the possibility to bring this problem to Coinbase and possibly find a solution together?

Of course, we can, and we already did with coinbase, as well as with other exchanges trying to improve the user experience. But usually, the bigger the exchange the longer it takes to make a modification (as one can easily guess). On our side, we can only improve our own products. But also this is not simple (not easy to guess what the user thinks about what he is doing, and you cannot explain every single concept in a pop up when a user sends a transaction). The only reasonable message would be “Hey, you are transferring the ownership of these tokens on the IoTeX blockchain” when a user makes a transaction, but do you think people will understand every implication of the “on the IoTeX blockchain” words? :wink:

Any suggestion from the community is welcome of course :slight_smile:

This is the answer I got from Coinbase support: " As previously mentioned, we cannot recover the funds at this time since it was sent from a network that Coinbase currently does not support.
Please note that Coinbase supports IOTX via ERC20 blockchain only . Hence, it was not credited to your account.
Coinbase always recommends that you check first the supported blockchain of any asset that you send to your account to avoid loss of funds.
However, if Coinbase decides to support the network, kindly reach back to see if we’re able to credit these funds to your account." Do you have any insights on when they will support IoTeX native network since you mentioned that you already brought up the issue with them?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this.

We don’t have any updates, judging from this answer (also received by other users) we all hope that this will happen soon and that they will use the same address for both networks so that your IOTX will become automatically credited :pray:t2:

I think it would help a lot if there was a warning. It’s not the UX/UI and of course, no one has any control of that, but it is also well within IOTX’s control to list two currencies with different ticker symbols to avoid confusion. That’s been done so many times by other crypto projects unless there was a swap from ERC-20 to native that was going on, but I didn’t see any of that announcement. The Coinbase listing seems to have been added later on when the native version had already been trading in many top exchanges outside the U.S.

Hopefully, this gets resolved as there are hundreds, if not thousands, facing the same issue. Even Twitter trolls know the issue and are sending fake tweets to steal seed phrases as soon as IOTX is mentioned. This hurt me financially, but thankfully not significantly like others, and praying for a solution to retrieve IOTX native tokens that are stuck.

I think it would help a lot if there was a warning. It’s not the UX/UI and of course, no one has any control of that, but it is also well within IOTX’s control to list two currencies with different ticker symbols to avoid confusion. That’s been done so many times by other crypto projects unless there was a swap from ERC-20 to native that was going on, but I didn’t see any of that announcement. The Coinbase listing seems to have been added later on when the native version had already been trading in many top exchanges outside the U.S.

Hopefully, this gets resolved as there are hundreds, if not thousands, facing the same issue. Even Twitter trolls know the issue and are sending fake tweets to steal seed phrases as soon as IOTX is mentioned. This hurt me financially, but thankfully not significantly like others, and praying for a solution to retrieve IOTX native tokens that are stuck.

[Discourse post]

Thanks for raising our hope a bit that someday we may get these tokens back. But can I request that IOTeX team dialogue with Conbase to resolve this issue. Beacuse Coinbase just informed me that the token never arrived on their block…See response from Coinbase support below:

Thanks for contacting us. We’re happy to explain what happened.

It appears this transaction was performed using a network that Coinbase currently does not support. Since we don’t support this network, the funds did not arrive in your Coinbase account and we do not have the ability to recover these funds.

Please note that Coinbase supports IOTX via ETH blockchain only. Hence, it was not credited to your account.

Again, for more details, please click the link below:

For details on all our assets and which networks Coinbase supports, please refer to our Asset Directory: https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/supported-crypto.html

Thanks for raising our hope a bit that someday we may get these tokens back. But can I request that IOTeX team dialogue with Conbase to resolve this issue. Beacuse Coinbase just informed me that the token never arrived on their block…See response from Coinbase support below:
Thanks for contacting us. We’re happy to explain what happened.

It appears this transaction was performed using a network that Coinbase currently does not support. Since we don’t support this network, the funds did not arrive in your Coinbase account and we do not have the ability to recover these funds.

Please note that Coinbase supports IOTX via ETH blockchain only. Hence, it was not credited to your account.

Again, for more details, please click the link below:

help.coinbase.com

IoTeX (IOTX) | Coinbase Help

IOTX is an Ethereum token that powers IoTeX, a platform that aims to connect IoT devices (such as cameras and sensors) and decentralized applications. IOTX can be used to pay for transactions, for sta…

For details on all our assets and which networks Coinbase supports, please refer to our Asset Directory: https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/supported-crypto.html

[Discourse post]

We have been in contact with them all the time providing any support they may need on the technical side.

Coinbase’s answer is correct: they say the tokens did not arrive in your Coinbase deposit address (on Ethereum) because the transaction was made on a different blockchain (on IoTeX, where they definitely areived, but Coinbase does not support it)

Hi Zimne, I would like to ask you a question since I understand that you have a lot of experience: Coinbase if it wanted with their exchange wallet private key could easily enter the IoTeX blockchain to send back to the sender all the blocked tokens (perhaps with a wallet which supports multiple blockcahains like Metamask), am I right? And it wouldn’t even take long because if I can do it in 5 minutes they would have no problem doing it in a few seconds, probably they just lack the will to do it, and honestly, I still don’t understand why …

This is correct.
But it’s also true that while managing one case takes a short time, managing this issue organically means to have some dedicated people to be trained for this single issue, for this single blockchain. I understand if they look for a more “universal” solution that would work for everyone by design.

Bibbonacci:

if it wanted with their exchange wallet private key could easily enter the IoTeX blockchain to send back to the sender all the blocked tokens (perhaps with a wallet which supports multiple blockcahains like Metamask), am I right?

This is correct.
But it’s also true that while managing one case takes a short time, managing this issue organically means to have some dedicated people to be trained for this single issue, for this single blockchain. I understand if they look for a more “universal” solution that would work for everyone by design.

[Discourse post]

Well I don’t think we are talking about thousand people… almost not yet, because many are falling in this “trap” even now, nothing is been done yet to prevent again this issue… maybe they can create a bot that do this, 2 hours of programming to solve all our case… I think it’s possible…

1 Like

I totally agree with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

New here. I have done the same as everyone else here. Attempted to transfer IoTex from crypto.com to coinbase. but let me share my observations and actions…at this point the only immediate solution see is working at getting our coin back into an IoPay wallet.
I have gotten to the actual transaction through the Iotex explorer snd seen the from and to (which is a watch address) io addresses. I downloaded iopay and imported the watch address (which is the “to” address in the transaction). There are options when importing a wallet in iopay to enter an address (which in this case is the watch address and no actions can be taken on) and keys (the key phrase). All i have is the address which after completing the import shows my Iotex coin balance. Good i guess but can’t transfer or do anything unless we imported with the keys. Im assuming this is an iotex key not coinbase or crypto.com. just give us the keys to import the wallets correctly and give us access to our Iotex coin. Seems simple to me since we were never given the keys when the coin went to the other Iotex address instead of coinbase.
Dont hide my post. Its not a promotion. Sneaky sneaky

The issue is the Erc 20 - 0x address converted to an Iotex receiving address right before sending it. That’s why this happened so easily.
It didn’t say invalid address, it just created an web 3 iotex native address.

So please help us.