Recovery of lost IOTX

Well, they just tried to close my ticket (nothing to see here!)
My response:
'----------------------------------------
This case is not closed. You still have not provided a valid reason that coinbase did not make it clear either through the display of my IOTEX wallet information or through the supported currencies help page, that there was even a potential for this to happen. No where on the help page (that you continue to reference) is it even listed that ERC20 is the network for transfers. Coinbase has a responsibility to address this situation that no reasonable user could have possibly foreseen.
Thank you,

'-----------------------------------------

1 Like

Well unfortunately coinbase won’t even reopen the ticket now. I feel like our last hope is that IOTex can do something to get these wallets either refunded back to their originating wallet, or translate the funds to ERC20 network. Either way it seems like a long shot.

'----------------------------------------
Thanks for the response! We’d love to help you further, however, this case has been closed and cannot be reopened.

I think IoTex needs to step up here and provide a resolution. And I am going to pull all my assets out of coinbase since I recently learned they won’t provide recovery phrases for my wallets. They are as bad as Robinhood

3 Likes

iotex should be able to recover funds, or at least show us how to, how do we connect with support?

2 Likes

yes, can somebody contact the iotex team?

Hello hope you are doing well. I bought 5000 tokens on cripto.com and wanted to transfer them to Coinbasepro well when I did they were different tokens. Well the symbol was the same and so was the picture symbol and unless you really dig you would not know this. I lost my 5000 tokens and I really believe your tokens are very misleading from one main exchange (cripto.com) to another main exchange (Coinbasepro) to have the same symbol is really really confusing. After reading about your group and what you were trying to do really made sense. At this point I am not sure what to think. Look forward to your response.

Iotex support, can you help us out here?

2 Likes

This is the best information I could find.

"You need to import your wallet private key into a new wallet that supports both networks. Depending on the wallet you are importing, you can also use a seed phrase instead of a private key. After importing the private key of the wallet into another wallet, you will have access to your funds.
Please note that due to the import of the private key, funds are not sent to another wallet. The user simply accesses their wallet from another application. This method is available only for users of non-custodial crypto wallets. PS. Coinbase is a Custodian Wallet.

Custodian wallet users do not own the private key. To solve this problem, you should contact the technical support of your wallet or the exchange to which you have poisoned the coins. Some custodial wallets can help for an additional fee and provide access to private keys. After receiving the private key, you can import it into another wallet that supports both blockchains. You need to import your wallet private key into a new wallet that supports both networks. Depending on the wallet you are importing, you can also use a seed phrase instead of a private key. After importing the private key of the wallet into another wallet, you will have access to your funds." e.g. Metamask

Basically we need to get Coinbase to provide the private keys to our ITOX addresses that they generated for us.

This is directly from Coinbase.
"The only way someone could access your funds would be if they had access to your Coinbase account, or in the case of a non-hosted wallet, your private key.

Note: It is not possible to delete crypto addresses from your Coinbase account. Deleting addresses from any wallet is highly discouraged since funds sent to an address which has had its private key deleted will be lost forever.

Public Key (Public address)

Similar to how an email can be given out to anyone to receive messages, your receiving crypto addresses can be given out to receive payments. You can view all of your receiving addresses here.

Private Key

Much like one needs the password to an email account to be able to access and send a message from that email address, wallets have what is called a private key that is needed to send funds from a digital currency wallet.

Coinbase is a hosted wallet service, which means we manage your private keys for you, securing your funds with a password, device confirmation and 2-factor authentication. We take security very seriously at Coinbase and utilize our secure cold-storage technology to protect our customer’s funds."

If they take security very seriously to protect our funds then they seriously need to give us the private keys to recover our lost funds! If anyone has any luck with this please share, thank you.

2 Likes

How is our further procedure?

can everyone briefly recite their current status?

I think our current status is Screwed.

Honestly at this point we need to hope that either IOTex provides a means to transfer or translate the coins that are stuck, or we hope that coinbase adds support for IOTex native currency in the near future.

Hi,
Yes you are right, we are screwed, i got the exactly same response from coinbase, that maybe later they will support iotex system, but iotex team should act in this i guess since they can contact coinbase about this issue , and also coinbase should take responsibility since it was not shown like paradise said, and also it makes no sense to have wallet address if you can’t use it…

1 Like

I have the same problem guys,
Assist me

Any updates on this,?? I have the same problem now!

Exactly the same problem here, if you can solve it, will you help me? I give you 50$ reward, I’m desperate :pleading_face:

No updates. Looks like my assets are “lost” until coinbase or iotex decide they want to help. I haven’t heard anything constructive from either side.

Any luck on recovering your coins I have the same issue

If I find a solution I will share for free

2 Likes

I also sent native iotex to Coinbase I have been encouraging everyone to submit a support ticket and then when that doesn’t work you file a complaint, I’m trying to get as much attention as possible brought to it

4 Likes

This is absolutely unbelievable in my opinion. Coinbase gives NO INDICATION that your IOTX wallet doesn’t actually accept 90% of IOTX? Do you think the average Coinbase user has (or should have) the level of technical knowledge necessary to distinguish between two variants of the same coin that BOTH TRADE UNDER THE SAME SYMBOL? I think this is a landmark opportunity for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - all it takes is anyone who has received an unhelpful reply back from Coinbase to file a complaint - this is real money - Coinbase is a public company - and this incident is a black eye to Crypto, we’ve got the exchanges running prime time TV ads for a service that is ingesting billions of dollars and offers absolutely no customer support due to obvious negligence in their product. Frankly, and I would imagine several hundred people or more have been effected, this is means to create a major PR incident for coinbase, following on the tail of the $1million hacks we’ve all heard on the news.

This is absolutely unbelievable in my opinion. Coinbase gives NO INDICATION that your IOTX wallet doesn’t actually accept 90% of IOTX? Do you think the average Coinbase user has (or should have) the level of technical knowledge necessary to distinguish between two variants of the same coin that BOTH TRADE UNDER THE SAME SYMBOL? I think this is a landmark opportunity for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - all it takes is anyone who has received an unhelpful reply back from Coinbase to file a complaint - this is real money - Coinbase is a public company - and this incident is a black eye to Crypto, we’ve got the exchanges running prime time TV ads for a service that is ingesting billions of dollars and offers absolutely no customer support due to obvious negligence in their product. Frankly, and I would imagine several hundred people or more have been effected, this is means to create a major PR incident for coinbase, following on the tail of the $1million hacks we’ve all heard on the news.

1 Like